Prof. Dr. Karl HärterResearcher
The research interests concern early modern and modern legal-, political- and constitutional history. The research activities focus on “good order and police”/police ordinances, penal law and criminal justice as well as on governance and administration within the pre-modern state and the Holy Roman Empire of German Nation as a juridical-constitutional system. A specif interest goes to the legal history of historical regions in Hessen.
Positions / Academic Appointments
- 2005 Prof. for Early Modern & Modern History University of Darmstadt
- 2005 Research Group Leader Max Planck Institute for European Legal History
- 2002-2004 Full Professorship (temporary) for Early Modern History, University of Cologne
- Since 1992 Researcher, Max Planck Institute for European Legal History, Frankfurt/M.
- Since 1991 University Lecturer, University of Darmstadt
- 1987-1990 Researcher, Institute for European History, Main
- 2002 Habilitation, University of Darmstadt, Early Modern & Modern History
- 1991 Doctoral degree (Dr. phil.), University of Darmstadt, History
- 1986 2st State Examination (teacher), Seminary of Bensheim, History & Politics
- 1984 1st State Examination (teacher), University of Darmstadt, History & Politics
- Member of the European Science Foundation College of Expert Reviewers
- Member of the evaluation team of the Centre for Research on Modern and Contemporary History of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (2011)
- Member of the International Advisory Board of the Journal „Beiträge zur Rechtsgeschichte Österreichs – BRGÖ“
- Member of the Advisory Board of the „Turku Medieval and Early Modern Studies publication series“, ed. by the Turku Centre for Medieval and Early Modern Studies (TUCEMEMS), University of Turku, Finland
- Member of the Association for Constitutional History (Vereinigung für Verfassungsgeschichte); 2010-2014 Member of the Board and Secretary
- Member of the Hessian Historical Commission (Hessische Historische Kommission) Darmstadt
- Member of the Historical Commission for the History of the Jews in Hesse (Kommission für die Geschichte der Juden in Hessen)
- Member of the Consiglio scientifico of the journal 'Quaderno di storia del penale e della giustizia'